- Our Story
- Community Life
- Social Justice
Adding to Your Understanding
Some say it resembles a graduate school class. Others say it's a great prelude to the worship service. It's Dumbarton's Adult Education program, broadening Dumbartonians' understanding of the church's mission, the Bible and global issues. (It's also easier to find parking by coming earlier.)
- Time: 9:30 a.m. for coffee and refreshments. 10 a.m. for the program.
- Date: Every Sunday from September through May (with a few exceptions on Easter and some holidays in the Social Hall at Dumbarton United Methodist Church.
- Format: A speaker discusses a topic, often with slides or Power Point presentation. A question-and-answer period follows.
|Adult Ed: "Working for Fairness in our Food System"||Sunday, March 9, 2014 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
TIME CHANGES THIS WEEKEND--Don't forget to plan ahead and turn your clocks FORWARD so you won't be late!
”Working for Fairness: Equity and Sustainability in Our Food & Agriculture...
|Adult Ed: "The Born Frees: Voices of Girls in the New South Africa”||Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
Guest speaker Kimberly Burge--"The Born Frees: Voices of the Girls in the New South Africa”
Adult Ed meets in the church Social Hall between 9:30 and 10 a.m. for refreshments and...
|Adult Ed: "The Quest for Justice in Latin America"||Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
"The Quest for Justice in Latin America: Strides and Challenges in the Early 21st Century.” Miguel Carter—a scholar in residence at American University’s School of International Service—will...
|Adult Ed: "Religion and War: Blood Rites"||Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
“Religion and War: Blood Rites.” Howard Morland will lead a discussion of Barbara Ehrenreich’s book, subtitled “Origin and History of the Passions of War.” We’ll deal with a question that still...
A Reconciling Congregation
Sunday worship is held at 11 a.m. in the sanctuary.
Youth and intermediate grades Sunday school are held at 10 a.m.
Godly Play and Children's Fellowship take place during much of the service.
Refreshments following. Nursery provided.
All are Welcome!
Adult Ed: "Working for Fairness in our Food System"
03/09/2014 - 10:00am
Adult Ed: "The Born Frees: Voices of Girls in the New South Africa”
03/16/2014 - 10:00am
Discovery Group: Northwest DC & Bethesda
03/16/2014 - 6:00pm
Adult Ed: "The Quest for Justice in Latin America"
03/23/2014 - 10:00am
Adult Ed: "Religion and War: Blood Rites"
03/30/2014 - 10:00am
What Participants Say
- "I love the surprises. The half hour before the discussion--with coffee and delicious pastries--sets the stage for programs around eternal dilemmas as well as the week's major events."
- "One week, a member shares his passion for the music of J.S. Bach; the next, we might hear a major national figure talk about peacemaking in areas of religious conflict."
- "Good coffee. Good discussion. Good speakers. Good topics. Easier parking."
- "Sometimes it's about healing, sometimes it's about shaking us up. I like both aspects of a church like Dumbarton"