- Our Story
- Community Life
- Social Justice
Adding to Your Understanding
Some say it resembles a graduate school class. Others say it's a great prelude to the worship service. It's Dumbarton's Adult Education program, broadening Dumbartonians' understanding of the church's mission, the Bible and global issues. (It's also easier to find parking by coming earlier.)
- Time: 9:30 a.m. for coffee and refreshments. 10 a.m. for the program.
- Date: Every Sunday from September through May (with a few exceptions on Easter and some holidays in the Social Hall at Dumbarton United Methodist Church.
- Format: A speaker discusses a topic, often with slides or Power Point presentation. A question-and-answer period follows.
|Adult Ed:Dan Sackett "Energy Flow Gives Life:||Sunday, November 2, 2014 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
"Energy Flow Gives Life: Thermodynamics and Spirituality.” Dan Sackett, Ph.D., a scientist at the National Institute for Child Health and Human Development, will lead a discussion centered on...
|Adult Ed: Mary Kay Totty--"Imagining a World Without War"||Sunday, November 9, 2014 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
During our pastor’s Sabbath Leave last summer, she attended a workshop at McDaniel College, Westminster, Maryland, that reinvigorated her determination to be a peacemaker. The program will be a...
|Adult Ed: Billy Friebele--"Einstein, Heraclitus & the Dali Lama walk into a bar"||Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
Billy, a celebrated local artist and a son of Elaine and Joe Friebele, will talk about his artistic vision as it relates to our fair city. His critically acclaimed recent work, “U Street...
|Adult Ed: Gunther Stern & Dr. Michael Morse -- "Serving the Chronically Homeless When They Resist Being Served"||Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
We'll hear from two key members of the Georgetown Ministry Center (GMC), an organization supported by Dumbarton's Mission and Outreach cluster. Gunther is executive director of GMC, and Dr. Morse...
Adult Ed:Dan Sackett "Energy Flow Gives Life:
11/02/2014 - 10:00am
Adult Ed: Mary Kay Totty--"Imagining a World Without War"
11/09/2014 - 10:00am
Adult Ed: Billy Friebele--"Einstein, Heraclitus & the Dali Lama walk into a bar"
11/16/2014 - 10:00am
Adult Ed: Gunther Stern & Dr. Michael Morse -- "Serving the Chronically Homeless When They Resist Being Served"
11/23/2014 - 10:00am
What Participants Say
- "I love the surprises. The half hour before the discussion--with coffee and delicious pastries--sets the stage for programs around eternal dilemmas as well as the week's major events."
- "One week, a member shares his passion for the music of J.S. Bach; the next, we might hear a major national figure talk about peacemaking in areas of religious conflict."
- "Good coffee. Good discussion. Good speakers. Good topics. Easier parking."
- "Sometimes it's about healing, sometimes it's about shaking us up. I like both aspects of a church like Dumbarton"