- Our Story
- Community Life
- Social Justice
Adding to Your Understanding
Some say it resembles a graduate school class. Others say it's a great prelude to the worship service. It's Dumbarton's Adult Education program, broadening Dumbartonians' understanding of the church's mission, the Bible and global issues. (It's also easier to find parking by coming earlier.)
- Time: 9:30 a.m. for coffee and refreshments. 10 a.m. for the program.
- Date: Every Sunday from September through May (with a few exceptions on Easter and some holidays in the Social Hall at Dumbarton United Methodist Church.
- Format: A speaker discusses a topic, often with slides or Power Point presentation. A question-and-answer period follows.
|Adult Ed - Rick Elgendy "Principalities & Powers: The Structures of Human Life"||Sunday, March 1, 2015 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
Mr. Elgendy, a visiting professor at Wesley Seminary, will explore how a return to the language of “principalities and powers” in the New Testament can help us speak of the cosmic victory of...
|Adult Ed - "Religion & Ethics News Roundup"||Sunday, March 8, 2015 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
Selected PBS video segments become springboards for lively discussion as current events meet United Methodist views of eternal truths and practical wisdom. Class members bring their own concerns...
|Adult Ed - Rev. Phil Wogaman "Selma: the Overlooked Story"||Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
Dumbartonian Phil Wogaman traveled to Selma, Alabama, in 1962 to organize voters. He certainly learned about civil rights and nonviolence, but there’s more to the story.
Gather in the...
|Adult Ed - Pam Constable: “Ups & Downs on the Immigration Front"||Sunday, March 22, 2015 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
Pam, a reporter with Washington Post, will be discussing the roller coaster of U.S. policy and politics on immigration re-form over the past year — especially the lawsuit against Obama’s...
|Adult Ed - Miguel Carter||Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 10:00am - 10:50am||
Gather in the Social Hall at 9:30 a.m. for refreshments, fresh coffee, and fellowship. Program begins promptly at 10:00.
Childcare is available for young children throughout First Grade....
Adult Ed - Rick Elgendy "Principalities & Powers: The Structures of Human Life"
03/01/2015 - 10:00am
Adult Ed - "Religion & Ethics News Roundup"
03/08/2015 - 10:00am
Adult Ed - Rev. Phil Wogaman "Selma: the Overlooked Story"
03/15/2015 - 10:00am
Adult Ed - Pam Constable: “Ups & Downs on the Immigration Front"
03/22/2015 - 10:00am
Adult Ed - Miguel Carter
03/29/2015 - 10:00am
What Participants Say
- "I love the surprises. The half hour before the discussion--with coffee and delicious pastries--sets the stage for programs around eternal dilemmas as well as the week's major events."
- "One week, a member shares his passion for the music of J.S. Bach; the next, we might hear a major national figure talk about peacemaking in areas of religious conflict."
- "Good coffee. Good discussion. Good speakers. Good topics. Easier parking."
- "Sometimes it's about healing, sometimes it's about shaking us up. I like both aspects of a church like Dumbarton"